Specialties: Investment, Property Management
Scope of Service Experience
• Works with NAI offices on a domestic and international level, reviewing operations, staffing, technology and creating strategic plans to improve efficiencies.
• Led a U.S. team that served numerous clients in the daily property and asset management of commercial properties. He specializes in triage of distressed assets in complex management situations, quickly stabilizing operations to secure and liquidate properties.
• Active in leasing and investment sales, leading brokerage efforts for OREO assets.
• Recognized as an international expert on management services, John consults for receiverships, expert witness testimony, and construction management.
Background & Experience
• John started his career in banking and securities. His financial expertise is combined with more than 20 years of experience managing, leasing and selling a diverse portfolio of commercial assets. Assets include high-rise office, shopping malls/strip centers, industrial, flex space, medical office buildings, luxury condominiums, commercial associations and multi-family. John has directed the management of several hundred class A to class C properties for private and institutional clients throughout the United States.
• After building a substantial third party management portfolio for CB Richard Ellis/Hubbell Co., John built the asset management operations for NAI Optimum f/k/a NAI Ruhl & Ruhl Commercial Co. in central Iowa. As a recognized leader within the NAI network, he later helped start the asset management services initiative for NAI Global.
• Clients include Citibank, Regions Bank, Lennar Partners, Lehman, DBSI, TriMont, Midland Loan, Alex. Brown Realty Co., Wellmark, KeyBank, CWCapital, NEBF Real Estate, MidAmerican Energy and Iowa Methodist Medical Center.
• A frequent presenter at international real estate conferences, educational institutions and training seminars.
• John supervised disaster recovery and rebuilding efforts for the largest commercial property in Cedar Rapids during the 2008 floods. He was responsible for several hundred workers in one of the largest disasters in U.S. history.
* University of Northern Iowa, B.A.
Professional Associations & Designations
University of Northern Iowa Real Estate Advisory Board, Past Chairman
NAI Global Property Management Council, Past Chairman
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Iowa, Past President
NAI Global – Presidents Award 2009, Top Producer Secondary Markets 2011 and 2012
Midwest Commercial Real Estate - "Forty over 40" in 2006 and Hall of Fame 2011
CCIM Institute, Member
Institute of Real Estate Management, Ch. 63 Past President